Monday, November 24, 2014

Tolkien Again?

Now I’ve always been a fan of Tolkien.  In fact, Lord of the Rings is what inspired me to play Dungeons and Dragons. (I do believe I referenced this in another post) I have discussed these books with a lot of my friends and my Dad had also shown plenty of interest in it as well.  My dad actually was the one who gave me the book “The Hobbit” to read in the first place.

            I love the themes that they have in the book.  The theme of big things come in small packages is something that I love to see happen.  Seeing someone who is pushed out of their comfort zone and watching them adapt to the situation.  You read on how Bilbo grows as a character as he realizes what he can do.  You read how you can help no matter how small you are or how little you can do.  It shows that no matter who you are, just by experiencing things differently or having a different perspective only helps you.

            Now with the ideas of genre that I have discussed over the semester, I see a lot of other elements in this book and that it isn’t all just fantasy medieval.  Theres the great beyond like Star Wars had,  and it has the “oppression” expressed within Bloodchild, yet they rebel against it. 


            It’s really amazing just how many different things can be analyzed from just one book.  It’s incredibly just how much work goes into these, and I’ll never be able to find out if all of it is intentional or not.  Guess its more fun if I don’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment