Sunday, November 23, 2014

Can you sing in space? Then why opera?

I have and always will be a fan of Star Wars.  I owe this to my dad who is a huge Star Trek and Star Wars fan.  I was about in Third grade when I began to take an interest in what my dad was watching.  I had no idea what was going on but it looked cool and they had laser guns.  Well my dad thought it was a good idea to introduce me to Star Wars seeing that episode one was coming out in theaters at the time.

            Now the western and the sea story structures all have a big part of them about the grand spaces of the unknown.  Unknown possibilities lie for those who come to explore.  The great sea has unknown lands waiting to be conquered, and the west has the promise of fame and fortune.  Well is you apply this to the final frontier, space, you can get some incredibly interesting settings.  If each world has its own ways of life and untold riches how can you run out, its like the ultimate ocean and unexplored territory.

            It’s not surprising that many people love these series.  I attribute a lot of it to the fact that these settings allow for people to come up with their own stories.  They’ve created a giant sandbox that anyone can use to create their own ideas.  You know you have something good when people are able to take what you have and create close to an infinite amount of things from it.


It’s not all about exploration though, Starship Trooper gave it more of a human survival kind of thing.  For our knowledge of space travel, we have to now defend ourselves on a bigger scale.  There are so many things you can do with a good setting and all of this was brought upon by a adaptation of another theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment